Fields of gold, Farmyard apples and Friendly locals...


Whilst I find the cost of living in Zurich somewhat unreasonable, there is a lot about the culture here that has made a superb impression on me. I went for a walk around the block today. The weather was beautifully sunny with a cool breeze and I love that within five minutes of leaving our apartment you are in the countryside. One of the first things you see is a golden field of sunflowers stretching towards the horizon. Then you walk past fields filled with grazing horses, apple trees dotted along the road, long fields of maize and can see the local lake, the Katzensee.

I stumbled across a farm selling bags of apples cheaply and then a little bakery where I bought a delicious typically Swiss cake. It looks a bit like a pie and is filled with a nutty honey mixture. These items were very cheap, and I realise it's the supermarkets that overcharge. Another thing is that locals here are very friendly. People in passing say hello, shop owners take a moment to chat to you. And that is so very different to my experience in the Tyrol. It's a really lovely area...
Share:
© Emmy in Switzerland | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig